Hi. Your sarcastic tones (or at least, self-degrading, in your ‘about the editor’ page), make me think this character is purely a character, but just to check: is this really your opinions (the entire site) or are you simply playing a character)
~~Lunah.
The Response from the Editor:
My Dear Young Lady,
As you seem to be young and American you probably find it difficult to gauge the tone of the written word without sarc tags, emoticons, and text speak like LOL etc. Suffice it to say some of the opinions expressed are ones in which I am (mostly) in agreement ; some are exaggerated for my own personal amusement ; and some I write simply to annoy the bien pensants. Which is which I leave to the Judgement of the Reader to decide. As to whether this is a "character" - no, it is more accurately an exaggeration of my personal proclivities and tendencies.
I would also like to point out that my ‘about the editor’ page - is not self-degrading; it is self-deprecating. You may have to look this up in a Dictionary as the meaning may be lost on someone educated in the modern American educational system of "all must have prizes" and humourless and relentless promotion of self-esteem. In most eras, self-criticism and self-awareness were thought to be of value as was having a sense of humour and not taking yourself seriously. So to respond to the charge of being self-degrading may I quote the the words of a personal model, Uriah Heep,"'Oh, no! I'm a very umble person.' ... 'I am well aware that I am the umblest person going,' said Uriah Heep, modestly; 'let the other be where he may. My mother is likewise a very umble person. We live in a numble abode, Master Copperfield, but have much to be thankful for. My father's former calling was umble. He was a sexton.'
Your sincerely,
Mild Colonial Boy, Esq.
5 comments:
Why indulge in degrade yourself when others will do it for you? Self deprecating -well i don't know, except that my wife says i only have two faults everything I say and everything I do.
I think our American cousins have a hard time communicating in real English. I heard an English journalist say that Aussies and Poms understand each other quite clearly and he gave an example of a room with one pom,one Aussie,one Kiwi,one Canadian,and one Yank. The Englishman told a joke,the Aussie joined in laughing and giving a sequel joke and they both laughed loudly, ,the kiwi politely laughed,the Canadian said he thought he understood the punch line ,and the American said "what did the Limey and the Aussie say?"
Then there's the old adage about England and America, two countries separated by a common language.
Mr. Mild Colonial Boy,
I must say your "about the editor" page is one of the very best things I've seen on this Internet thing. Keep up the good work.
I hate to say, but wit is a dying art form.
I like the "about the editor" page, especially if you're serious.
Post a Comment