Deja Vu?

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Here is a strangely relevant cartoon from a 1934 issue of The Chicago Tribune that has been doing the rounds:

tribune

4 comments:

Watch Out said...

I really don't care for The US Constitution or Free Economies (as opposed to Planned Economies).

There is nonetheless a mismanagement and decadence common to both ages.

Thomas Banks said...

I wanted to say that as someone who is currently enlisting in the U.S. Army, I appreciated your May 31 post very much. I am also glad that there are still a few fellow monarchists out there. By any chance, are you familiar with Dante's "De Monarchia?"

Pax tecum,

Thom.

Mild Colonial Boy, Esq. said...

May I wish you all the best Mr Banks in following your proposed vocation. I don't know whether you are intending to make a career in the Army or simply a temporary stint - in any case I pray that you return safely to your family and the friends at its completion.

Yes, there are a few monarchists around, although it is somewhat easier to be one in a constitutional monarchy like Australia, than in a republic like America.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with "De Monarchia" of Dante. I still have a bit of reading to catch up of the more recent works on the British Monarchy before I start on Italian works.

Schütz said...

From One Constitutional Monarchist to Another:

Thanks for this cartoon. I have had several economists impressing upon me that "the situation today is like nothing we have ever before experienced". Maybe that is so in terms of economics. In terms of politics... well, there's nothing new under the sun, is there?