Normally I ignore these Internet chain-letters - especially as the attempt to create a hierarchical list out of the changing tastes and the many events in a person's life can only ever give a partial and inaccurate picture. However, as books are one of my besetting weaknesses, I will accept young Thomas Pietsch's 'tag'.
1. One book that changed your life:
The Reformation's conflict with Rome : why it must continue by Presbyterian writer, Robert L. Reymond. During my rather tortuous spiritual journey, from Atheism to Unitarianism and eventually to Lutheranism - I briefly investigated the Church of Rome. This book confirmed the doubts I had with the claims of the Church of Rome - particularly the numerous flaws in it's tradition regarding the Apocrypha, the Papacy, and most importantly the difference between the Biblical definition of Justification and the Church of Rome's definition.
Or, Why I Am Not a Muslim by Ibn Warraq. This book opened my eyes to the essentially barbarous and violent nature of Mohammadism - in its Koran, its traditional interpretations and its history. Never again would I be able to accept any facile and deceptive comparisons between Jesus and Mohammad; or references to mythical Mohammadean tolerance.
2. One book that you’ve read more than once:
The Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula LeGuin.
3. One book you’d want on a desert island:
The Complete Idiot's guide to Shipbuilding. (With apologies to GK Chesterton)
4. One book that made you laugh:
The most recent one was Library Mascot Death Match - a collection of the third year of Unshelved comic strips. To really appreciate this you have to have worked in a public library.
6. One book that you wish had been written:
The Confessions of Pope Leo X - how he reformed the Church of Rome according to the advice of Martin Luther.
7. One book that you wish had never been written:
Any of the Hillsong songbooks, or the Catechism of Trent.
8. One book you’re currently reading:
The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks.
9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
The Book of Concord.
10. Tag others.
The madness ends with me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I do recommend that you read the Book of Concord. It would be a good preparation for your conversion to the Catholic Faith!-->
Post a Comment